Go USA! Soccer Showcase 2018 in Helmond, the Netherlands
The Go USA Soccer Showcase is an annual exposure event in the Netherlands brought to you by a unique consortium of high-level sports and educational organizations in the Netherlands:
We are ready to host our second premium soccer showcase on Sunday the 11th of February, 2018 in Helmond. Our exposure showcase is in high demand for both players and US coaches, and we truly look forward to hosting this exciting event. GUTS placed former Dutch soccer prospects at all collegiate and prep school levels in the US including University of Alabama-Birmingham, University of Tulsa, University of San Francisco, George Mason University, University of Rhode Island, Caldwell College, Gannon University, Knox College, Trinity University in TX, West Valley College, Southwestern University….
The showcase will be held at the Lavans Stadium of soccer club Helmond Sport, which is easily accessible by public transport. Please note the showcase is recommended for both current GUTS clients as well as other players: male and female players born 1997-2003 regardless of soccer and academic level are welcome to participate.
What is this showcase about?
This showcase provides European players the unique opportunity to experience American style clinics and to play games, which we will record on video. It is an efficient way for athletes to showcase their soccer abilities, receive a US soccer standard evaluation, and connect with US coaches recruiting talent from Europe. We expect many coaches from renowned American colleges/universities and high schools to attend and recruit talented, European players for their soccer teams in the US.
Additionally, this is our chance to assess your talent for US college level soccer. After we watch you play, you will receive a personal evaluation by this elite team of Dutch soccer experts who have extensive experience in playing and coaching in the US:
Head Showcase Coach Jean Paul Verhees (for Female Players)
Jean Paul (JP) is a Dutch coach residing in the US since 1970. He will evaluate all female players on what their prospects are to play college soccer and at what level.
Verhees was the Head Women’s Coach for the University of California in Berkeley where he helped the team to two NCAA Division I Championships. He also had success coaching at the University of San Francisco and Westmont College, where his team won the NAIA Championship title. Verhees worked also in many other capacities:
- Assistant Coach US National Team U-20 (2000) served as a substitute in Toulon France
- State /ODP and Regional Coach California- South
- Assistant Technical Director Honolulu Bulls soccer club
- Head youth soccer coach Crossfire soccer club Seattle Washington
- United States state department tour of Zambia Africa empowering youth coaches/coaching education
- Technical Director and senior adviser for Ventura FC soccer club for lower income families
Licenses and certificates:
- USSF “A” License
- Swiss international soccer federation “B” License
- Royal Dutch Soccer federation KNVB Certificate Tactical and game analyses
- NSCAA National Youth Coaching License Level 5-6
- Member of the NSCAA Coaches association
Verhees was a youth player for the predecessor of Helmond Sport and played professionally in the US in both NASL and ASL. He holds a Bachelor degree in Social Science/Physical Education from Westmont College (1975).
Head Showcase Coach Erik Visser (for Male Players)
Erik Visser is a Dutch coach residing in the US since 1978. He will evaluate all male players on what their prospects are to play college soccer and at what level.
Visser was the Head Men’s Coach for the University of San Francisco from 2000-2013 where he guided the Dons to four NCAA play-off appearances and was selected WCC Coach of the Year three times. He has extensive experience in management, coaching, and scouting at Collegiate, Youth National Team (US U20), ODP, and US Soccer Academy level.
He possesses a keen knowledge of MLS through Professional Match Evaluator Program, USL Experience as a Technical Advisor, and 10 years of Experience as a Director of Coaching of a Youth Soccer Organization overseeing player, coaches, and parental educational program including 1500 players and 125 coaches. Visser’s playing experience includes Ajax Youth Academy U-19 (1975/76) and two NCAA Division 1 Championships with the University of San Francisco (1978 & 1980). Visser possesses a US Soccer “A” license.
Visser holds two Masters Degrees from University of San Francisco.
Assistant Showcase Coach Rutger-Jan (RJ) Bevers
Rutger-Jan Bevers is a Dutch coach who worked for 9 years as Assistant Coach for the men’s soccer team at State University of New York in Albany, an NCAA DI in the America East Conference. They became regular season co-champion (2004) and several players went on professionally and became internationals. He also served as ODP coach at the Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association.
He played for Fingerlakes Desperados, Ithaca New York pdsl 1998 and for Capitol Region men’s open soccer team, silver medalist in the Empire State Games in 2002
He served as the Director of coaching for Euro Futbol United NY and Director of Youth coaching CVV Sparta Enschede. He also worked in several soccer related positions e.g. at NOC*NSF, Municipality of Enschede, ADO Den Haag. He currently works for International Sports Alliance.
Bevers studied at Broome Community College (1997-1998) and the State University of New York at Cortland (2006-2008), where he obtained an MBA in Sport Management.
What is included?
- Practice sessions and games
- Matches throughout the day
- Online access to showcase footage
- Written evaluation on the player’s performance and level
- Presentation about college sports. Topics include regulatory and licensing issues, training conditions and facilities, the process of becoming a student-athlete in the US, sporting and academic levels, and life in general at college in the US
- Opportunity for players and parents to meet personally with GUTS’ educational consultant Marina Meijer and sports consultant Mark Schuurman
- Lunch, drinks, and snacks
Lavans Stadium in Helmond – The Netherlands
Special registration fee is 175 euros (regular registration) and GUTS-clients fee is 90 euros. The fee should be made payable through wire transfer. Bank information is found on the online registration form.
Register online on our GUTS website here.
Current GUTS client already under contract for placement in the US only pay a 90 euros fee. Interested in becoming a GUTS client before the showcase? Please schedule a meeting with GUTS asap through https://www.ihaveguts.com/agenda/
Further information will be sent to you via email after registration.
Spots are limited and GUTS and showcase coaches Voorhees and Visser will determine a final squad. Registration is binding, and the registration deadline is February 2nd, 2018. Limited spaces available, so register early!
Cancellation can only be made via email to: email@example.com. No refund is made of the fee in case of cancellation. Please note that participants are responsible for sufficient medical insurance coverage
What is in it for you?
- Increase your recruitment visibility with US coaches looking to recruit European players for their team
- Learn the fundamentals about college soccer and college academics
- Play with quality players from all over Europe
- Network with other elite players, former European players in the US, and GUTS staff
- Find out what level in the US you can play and get a scholarship
- The showcase clinics and games will be filmed, and the showcase footage can help you obtain a scholarship (footage will be provided after the event and is included in the fee)
- You will have an unbelievable experience and be a part of a great day
So far, 30-40 US coaches have shown interest to recruit at this event. More info will follow asap.
Are you a US Coach interested in recruiting at this event? You are invited to attend the showcase for free. Please sign up here. Contact Marina Meijer for more info at US phone: (512) 782 9781.
If you have questions and want to know more, please contact Mark Schuurman, GUTS Showcase Director: firstname.lastname@example.org, +31 (0)6 4100 4151.
* GUTS reserves the right to make any changes to the Showcase program